Matt handles cases in transportation, logistics, and maritime law, commercial collections, and regulatory compliance law. He has represented clients involved in all aspects of domestic and international transportation including motor carriers, freight forwarders, brokers of motor carriers, intermodal marketing companies and shippers’ agents, ocean transportation intermediaries (OTIs), and shippers.
Matt represents businesses and individuals in employment discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and wrongful discharge claims under Title VII, the Americans With Disabilities Act, the Family Medical Leave Act (“FMLA”), and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (“ADEA”).
Matt also represents private companies on ordinary and complex business matters, with an emphasis on assisting buyers and sellers in asset-purchase agreements and private stock transfers. As part of his transactional practice, he has assisted medical professionals in preparing and negotiating asset sales and seller-financed purchases and has represented transportation brokers and motor carriers in transferring operations in a manner that complies with Federal law.
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., cum laude, 1998
- Notre Dame Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2001
Admissions to Practice
- Illinois, 2001
- Supreme Court of Illinois, 2001
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 2001
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2003
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois, 2005
- U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit, 2004
- U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, 2005
- U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 2006
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Illinois Trucking Association
- Traffic Club of Chicago
- Transportation Lawyers Association
Publications and Presentations
- “Transportation Intermediaries: Litigation News and Developments,” Paper presented to the Transportation Lawyers Association Annual Conference, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, May 2008
- “Transportation Tort Liability Travels Up The Supply Chain,” Transportation Law Journal, Vol. 34, No. 3, University of Denver—Sturm College of Law, Fall 2007
- “The Re-Emergence of the Federal Common Law: Motor Carrier Limitations of Liability in the Post ICCTA Environment,” Paper presented to the Transportation Lawyers Association Chicago Regional Conference, Chicago, Illinois, January 2007
- “New Trucking Company? Is Now the Time? New Entrant Motor Carrier Considerations,” Paper presented to the Transportation Lawyers Association Chicago Regional Conference, Chicago, Illinois, January 2015